Tuesday, April 14, 2009

A Pedicure on a Rainy Day

Ok, so for all of you who are sick of my background, I'm sorry, but I officially do not know how to change the background by myself. All the changes that have ever happened to my blog are thanks to Tiffany and Lacey :D

Today I am in Lehi, Utah sitting at a computer in Dave and Lindsey's house. It's slightly surreal to have this time in a quiet house with relaxed people after such an eventful semester.

I was talking to my mom yesterday while Ruth got a haircut. After finding out Mom still hasn't read Cheaper by the Dozen (one of the singularly funniest, cutest books ever written), I said,
"Mom! Why are we talking? You need to go read that book right now, and you'll just love it so much and we'll have so many more inside jokes!"
"Miriam, you're back!"
I was not expecting this exhuberant reply from her. I was a little confused until she explained that she could just tell I was on vacation, and finally relaxed.
This made me glad that I was myself, and sorry I had spent time not being myself. I knew what she meant though.
"It's not that you haven't been yourself, but you've just been Miriam during finals, or Miriam with a job, or Miriam doing school--and all those are different from the relaxed, regular Miriam." My mom explained. I then decided I wanted to be better at relaxing.
I don't know exactly what it is, but something in our culture has greatly crossed the boundaries between relaxing and being idle. For example, a familiar sense of guilt started twisting in my stomach after spending about 3.4 minutes looking for a new background I liked for my blog. And all day I've been wondering if I should feel bored or unproductive for just painting my nails, watching a movie, and talking to Lindsey and Evelynn. But I don't think I should feel guilty. Is there anything wrong with not having every minute of the day scheduled? In general I prefer to have my time planned and filled, but I think there is value in knowing how to relax and fill time with simple things.
I don't know exactly what this value is, but it makes sense that having time when you are not being constantly distracted or occupied is healthy.
Thoughts?

5 comments:

Audrey/Cooper's grandma said...

Hey Miriam! I'm glad you are finally relaxing. Yes we all need to relax and not feel guilty about it. It's very therapeutic to have days like that, especially when you have been working hard at school, jobs, responsibilities, etc. I could use a day like that. Nice to hear from you!! Write more on your blog, I miss you

Ruth said...

My Mimiface! That is so true! I totally know what you mean. It's difficult for me to relax without feeling guilty and unproductive, but I agree with you, it is necessary to relax sometimes. Because the result for me is usually just feeling guilty a lot for relaxing, instead of letting myself relax or letting myself be busy, so I think it's good to make time to relax, but then it's still scheduled. I think I stopped making sense a long time ago so I'll stop now. :)

Tiffany said...

I definitely agree with Mom. There is definitely a need for everyone to relax and you should not feel guilty about it. It will actually probably make you a more balanced and happier person.

Clarke said...

Miriam, I just want you to know something, and PLEASE remind me to talk to you about this in person because it's a topic I'll need to vocally tell you about (probably using hand gestures.) :-) But when you get home from your mission, those feelings of guilt for doing non-100%-productive things will be amplified. If you're going through it BEFORE your mission I am SURE it will come even stronger after. :-) So might as well learn to do things you love and know are good, and not hate yourself for liking some good casual things that you actually love too! :-) (The problem with being a return missionary is that you still aren't used to doing any casual things.) But good luck and call me or remind me to talk to you about this in person. I DEFINITELY don't want you to be sad after such a wonderful mission! :-) Have a great day!! :-)

...AND HAVE FUN! You TOTALLY deserve it! :-)

meghan & jason said...

Hi, Miriam! It's Meghan, from the WC. How are you?? I am bored and reading people's blogs, and when I read your post it reminded me of this story that has always stuck in my mind about leisure time. I founded it on LDS.org:

The Prophet Joseph Smith was once criticized for his leisure activities and game playing.

“He said it tried some of the pious folks to see him play ball with the boys. He then related a story of a certain prophet who was sitting under the shade of a tree amusing himself in some way, when a hunter came along with his bow and arrow, and reproved him. The prophet asked him if he kept his bow strung up all the time. The hunter answered that he did not. The prophet asked why, and he said it would lose its elasticity if he did. The prophet said it was just so with his mind, he did not want it strung up all the time.”

That always helps me when I get out of a stressful period of my life and start to feel guilty sitting down to read a book.
Hope you're doing well! Jason and I are doing great. We're moving to South Jordan, UT this summer. He's going to start dental school, and I'll be teaching still. Maybe we'll see you around. :)