Monday, December 22, 2008

Thinking while warm

So this is me being peer-pressured into writing on my blog. Compliments to Lacey:) And thanks to her it actually looks like I visit my own blog once in a while. I am loving Christmas season. Right now I am sitting in a nice warm house after a day of shopping basking in the glow if Christmas tree lights.

Today I decided to not think about presents anymore. I really would rather spend the last few days before Christmas in other ways besides mentally going over all the people I still need to buy presents for over and over. I am tired of stressing out with other people about who got who what, and if so-and-so will notice that their grand total of presents adds up to half as much money as their brother's. What would Christmas be like with no presents? Would it detract from or add to the "Christmas spirit?" Would we still find ways to show our love to each other, or become more self-focused? I think the absence of materialism would be the main effect. Cause really, if we subtracted all the shopping, asking, wrapping and financing out of Christmas time, what would be left? A whole bunch of time with family. A lot of vacation with less to do, and more time to think. Just once a year, a couple weeks dedicated to feel the importance of Christ visiting the earth in mortality. A few precious hours to comprehend what it means for God to send His son to us. I want this. Thankfully, I believe we can do this inspite of all the presents and shopping. It's a little harder, but completely worth it.

Trite topic? Yes. But the realization is revolutionary for me.

2 comments:

MAMA said...

I love to see you have new blogs! 1. I am so glad you were warm, and considered that you were in a warm house. How did that come about? We all know your Dad's philosophy on heating the house (The Theory of Heat). Anyway, I am very glad you were warm. 2. I am truly sorry that I undoubtedly contributed to your Christmas stress level. Your thoughts were very interesting--especially the idea of having no gifts, just time with family. I am so glad you are home for Christmas. Love you!

Ruth said...

very profound and very true thoughts. May I suggest a happy medium between the mountain-of-presents and the no-presents, and to obtain this happy medium gradually, constantly, and therefore un-stressfully? I realize that I am painting a very difficult and mostly unrealistic picture, at least for our family. I do agree with you and wish Christmas was more "Christ" and less "mas(s)".